Thursday, June 20, 2013

How Far Will You Go?

What place (in all the world) that I have been to is my favorite?

#WANAFriday* theme


(In reality there are two, but because of my ulterior motive this week I'm picking only one.)


Let’s start with why I chose my favorite place:

  • Adventure   
  • New experiences   
  • Meeting new and different people that I might not ordinarily associate with   
  • The magic—that special something that happens when you expect the unexpected  
  • Synchronicity


I moved to San Francisco at the end of the Beat Generation and eased right into the Flower Children generation, moving on to explore New Age concepts and higher consciousness modalities. I have always sought that artist’s edge of new ideas and explorations. 

When I read an article about the Mayans (I had taken classes on Mesoamerica that fired my imagination to learn more) and their prophecies, I felt as if there was this big secret I had to learn about.

So, I felt compelled to visit Mexico again in August of 1987, and be at Teotihuacan on one of two days, for what Jose Arguelles was calling the Harmonic Convergence. Many people in the New Age movements were talking about it, and like an itch you have to scratch I had to be there for that event. There were power places around the planet that people were heading for on those two days in August. Even though Mount Shasta was closer to me, I knew I had to be in Mexico.

There was El Tule Tree in Oaxaca,  Teotihuacan outside Mexico City and Palenque. But I only made the first two (time and distance being factors). Instead of Palenque, we went to Coba—a lesser known pyramid system close to Chichen Itza. The Yucatan Peninsula is rife with ruins and I wanted to see as many as I could in the time we had to travel (plus, being close to the beach was an absolute must for me).

Why? For what reason did thousands of people trek to these supposed power centers? I remember asking one young man I met in the Cancun airport, that had just flown in from the East Coast, that question. His answer was also my answer:

"I felt compelled by something other than logic, by some draw that goes beyond rational thought. I just knew I had to be here."

Someday I may write that memoir I've been asked to do, and explain the why better, but for now, the results of that trip (and the reason for my ulterior motive for choosing Mexico today) was my novel, 

Dance the Dream Awake

It was published this week! 



I hope you will check it out. More details about my novel (paranormal romantic suspense) can be found on my website: www.coraramos.com


It will be out in e-book eventually (not sure when) on Amazon, 
but for now the paperback can be purchased at:

Oak Tree Press Books  (listed alphabetically) for $10 + shipping

Amazon  for $14.20 + shipping


*WANAFriday is a group of writers that each post on their own blog on Friday (or thereabout) on our agreed upon theme of the week. The other authors participating this week will be listed below (and updated as they post):


12 comments:

Mike Schulenberg said...

Congrats, Cora!

Michele Powers said...

I want a signed copy in print asap!

Cora said...

Thanks, Mike.

Cora said...

Soon as I get one, you got it. Thanks, Michele.

Ellen Gregory said...

Congratulations on the launch, Cora! Let us know when it's available on kindle. :-)

I'd love to visit Mexico too. I'm fascinated by all the ancient civilisations and the Mayans were so smart.

jrlindermuth said...

Congratulations, Cora. Mexico is one of my favorite places in the world, too.

Kim Griffin said...

Congrats, Cora! Very exciting!

I have been to Mexico and explored the ruins and pyramids in Chichen Itza. It was amazing to walk around the area and to climb. Had a helluva time getting there though ~ hmmm, sounds like a blog post to write!

Thanks for the inspiration! And congrats again :)

Cora said...

There are so many influences in Mexico that you can always find something new to explore. I agree, the Mayans were amazing.

Cora said...

Thanks. I just saw a video the other day on the musical influences of several different cultures that contributed to some of the musical sounds. Amazing.

Cora said...

Chichen Itza is amazing. Last time down I didn't even attempt to climb a pyramid. I always end up sitting down several times before I reach the top. Whew.

J. L. Greger said...

What a great setting for a mystery - in the heart of ancient mysteries.
JL Greger

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Woo hoo, Cora! I am so excited for you.